AUTHOR: Sara TITLE: Friends, Pals, Comrades, anyone? DATE: 1/01/2005 10:15:00 PM ----- BODY:
My New Year began EXACTLY the way I didn't want it to. Mike was supposed to get off work at 10 pm and we were going to spend a relaxing evening together. His lovely boss made him stay, despite the fact that he did not have any customers for 3 hours. (Um, hello?! They were all at the Strip or at home with their families, like my husband should have been!) So I was all misty-eyed over thinking this is how my year is going to be. Mike is sweet-enough (or smart enough) to realize females often need to be reassured in times of moodiness, so I feel a little better. I dreamed last night about friends, old and new. It was a very long, vivid dream full of past experiences and then some new ones. Earlier in the day I had a conversation with Mike about how it seems, for one reason or another, I have (or we have?) grown apart from my friends. Why is that? Am I not a good friend? Are they not good friends? Are we simply too different and just end up growing apart? I want "Sex in the City" friends, is this possible??? Here is the shortened, soap-opera version of my historical background on friendships. . . . . -Moved to Nevada from Texas when I was 13, so that immediately made my childhood friends kind of fade out of the picture. K., C, K2, and A - friends, but not close friends. They were of the . . . how shall I say, religious upbringing? We have lost touch over the past few years, but they all have 3, 2, 3, and 3 children respectively. J. - My best friend throughout high school. She was great, the mirror opposite of me, so we complemented each other well. I have no idea what hapened here, except that there was a disagreement over whether she wanted to be in my 1st wedding or something like that. We have talked, but not in the past 2 years or so. At last, she had a daughter. I miss her. B - friend during college, worked together. We were very close, but something, once again, happened that I don't know what it was. We have grown apart, we call every few months, but still have not seen each other's new homes since we moved in this Fall. She has a daughter. J2 - friend I met through my x-husband. We still talk on the phone, she lives in CA. She has a daughter and is pregnant with another little girl. Going to be moving back here this summer. At the time we were close, I introduced her to B, and now they are the best of friends and somehow I am left out of the loop. (hmm . . no baby?) V - oh . . . . . .the story of V. I don't even have enough room to tell. I will say that we had an . . . . interesting relationship. We shared many things, perhaps TOO many things. She has recently began shacking up with the x-husband of a friend of ours. We don't speak. Our last conversation: V: "Hey! I am back in town and living with !*&^@(*&. Can you believe that? He is so great. " S: "Wow. What does K think of you living with her x and her two children?" V: "Oh, you know, she deals with it. So . . are you still pregnant?" (We had not talked since before my bridal shower, which she did not come to because she was too busy knocking boots with new sugar daddy.) S: "No, I had a miscarriage again back in July." V: "Aww, sorry. So, what else is new?" (This is where I began slamming the phone down on the coffee table and screaming, "BAD CONNECTION! BAD CONNECTION!") So . . as you can see, my history of friends just kind of sucks. I think, in some ways, I have not wanted to get close to anyone lately, either. It is rather hard in this city to get close to people, too. Everyone is do freaking busy or stuck in traffic. Mike and I had a long conversation and after the next school year, we want to move to New York where he is from. (Western NY, small town.) I went for a visit in June and LOVED IT. I am slowly beginning to hate it here. On the el prego frontage, yesterday revealed one m-f-ing pink line. My father brought our Christmas gifts over (late) and gave us a book called "The End of Evolution". He told me that I have to read it before I give birth and I lovingly said, "Well, does not look like that is going to happen anytime soon, so I guess I can get started!" I don't think he understands me.
--------